Healthy and fun family meals are quintessentially one-pot meals wherein you can put in a variety of nutrients and concoct a delicious stand-alone meal. These family meals are fun to cook as they are easy, less time consuming and simultaneously healthy. I would call them family meals because the entire family can sit and enjoy the one-pot meals together. Here are some recipes for one-pot family meals.
One-Pot Family Meals
Mexican rice is full of colorful ingredients and it tastes delicious. You can add any locally available vegetables to this easy-peasy rice dish.
Ingredients for Tomato Paste
- 5 Tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 2 tsp Garlic Paste
- ½ tsp pepper powder
- 14 tsp salt
- 1 tsp tomato ketchup
Ingredients for Rice
- 2 cups Rice
- ½ cup of corn
- 1/3 cup green peas
- ½ chopped carrot
- 2 tbsp Vegetable oil
- 1 roughly chopped garlic cloves
- One onion chopped
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- salt to taste
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- 3 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- coriander leaves for garnishing
- Cook 5 tomatoes roughly chopped in a wok filled with 3 glasses of water. After 12 minutes, switch off the flame and peel the skin off the tomato and grind to a fine paste.
- Soak the rice for half an hour
- Take another wok and add garlic cloves and sauté them till golden brown.
- Now add the ground tomato paste, salt, and pepper powder.
- Cover over a slow flame until mushy. Your tomato paste is ready.
- Heat another wok and sauté onions and garlic until golden brown.
- Now add the soaked rice and tomato paste.
- Next add all the vegetables, spices, and water in the pot and cover it. Let is cook over a slow flame for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, your Mexican rice is ready. Garnish with coriander leaves.
For those who have recently quit non-veg food, this delightful dish, although vegetarian, can curb your cravings for meat.
Ingredients for meatballs
- 8 oz cremini mushroom, finely chopped (225 g)
- 15 oz cannellini bean, 1 can be drained and rinsed(425 g)
- One small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 ¼ cups panko breadcrumbs (60 g)
- ½ cup fresh parsley, finely chopped (20 g)
- Three cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- A teaspoon of vegan Worcestershire
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
Ingredients for Gravy
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 cups vegetable broth(720 mL)
- 14 oz full-fat coconut milk, 1 can (395 mL)
- 1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour(30 g)
- 4 cups bow tie pasta, or pasta of choice (400 g)
- Combine the mushrooms, beans, onion, bread crumbs, parsley, garlic, dried rosemary, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, nutmeg, liquid smoke, salt, and pepper in a bowl.
- Mix well with a fork, mashing the beans a bit to form a paste.
- Heat the canola oil in a large pot over medium-high heat and roll the “meatball” mixture and into golf ball-sized balls. Place the balls in the pan and cook for 1 minute on each side until browned.
- Add the vegetable broth, coconut milk, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, and flour, and gently stir until evenly combined.
- Bring the liquid to a boil, then add the pasta. Stir constantly until the pasta is cooked and the liquid has reduced to a sauce that coats the noodles and meatballs, 7-8 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley and serve hot.
Whip up these one-pot family meals and enjoy family dinners with your loved ones.